Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sanrio and Morning Glory Gift Idea


Retail Cost: $30
From Morning Glory Website

So last Christmas when I was short on time and low on Gifts, I browsed Sanrio and Morning Glory stores for gift ideas.  For those of you who don't know what Sanrio and Morning Glory Stores are their basically gift shops that sell their branded items like Hello Kitty and Blue Bear etc.  Their like staple stores for Asian teens filled with cute little things like stationary stuff, statues, dolls etc.  Basically they sell stuff that should really be like a dollar and mark it up obscenely because its their brand Character and just Pretty, the stores are very big on Pretty.  And around Christmas they go big on Gift Packages and they'll add really cute wrapping, bows and confetti and put small cheap stuff together and sell it for a lot.  And Teens and Tweens just eat it up, the stores are super packed during the holidays.
    

Retail Value: $18 
(Sanrio Pekkle Glass Coin Bank $15, Nivea $3)
My Version Cost: $.05 for Wrapping


So last year I'd thought I do the same to save some money.  Over the years, I've collected a lot of useless Sanrio/ Morning Glory stuff that are still in their boxes from my teenage years.  Like this Pekkle Glass Coin Box, which sold back then for about $15.  I took it out of its box and put it in the Translucent Gift Bags I got from dollar store.  Then too make it more "pretty" I put in some Holiday Hershey's Kiss Candy I got for free via DrugStore sales.  And to get the gift a height, so the cheaper Cellophane substitute I used would stand taller, I threw in a pretty shimmer Nivea Lip Gloss I got for free.




Tip: If you have stash of Gifts you haven't used,think of ways to repackage and   gift.


Okay, this is shameless re-gifting but hey, it's not like I was every going to use this again.  And like I said for my gift list recipients, its tougher because their very image conscious.  This way I gave them a "name brand" gift that is expensive and looks pretty.
  
Besides we're in a recession and my other option would have been selling it on Ebay.  I personally, think this is a craftier way to not wasting your money and repurposing items you don't need or use.

No comments:

Post a Comment