Saturday, October 15, 2011

Art Day





I really wanted to make use of my scanner, access to free color copies and library card to decorate before the holiday rush so today was like my own Art Day.  I went to the Queens Library and took out two books with awesome print potential and that were light to carry.  I ended up picking up a color picture book on the drawings of Manolo Blahnik ; Andy Worhols book on flowers and Frida Kahlos masterpieces.  The first two I picked because they had really nice commercially pleasing prints, great for making cards and prints to hang.  I got some great scans that I will be printing while I still have access to print for free.






The last allowed me rediscovered my love for Frida Kahlo's work.  I used to really be into art but as life got busy, I really never got to return to my appreciation of art.  Sometimes, I think what they say about art is true, its really for the filthy rich or artists themselves.  To have the time and peace of mind to just look is a luxury. So hence why categorized this post under entertainment, it was really a great way to pass time and senses.


DIY GIFT and Decorating idea


Print and frame these yourselves.  You can make it an expensive looking gift by blowing up like poster and framing as huge centerpiece.  Or you can go smaller and put in small modern frames or even in unique shapes.  The advantage of getting copy from book is you can preserve the texture of the work making it look less like a simple zerox.


You can find cheap frames typically at goodwill or dollar store or NYC side walks.  To modernize them, you can spray paint them a nice color depending on what decor your trying to match like white or black.


Or on a smaller scale, you can print on card stock to make unique ThankYou cards or gift tags to brighten up a home made gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment