Monday, September 12, 2011

Loving the Hyacinth bean


Summers over which means the end of my free Basil run but in comes the Hyacinth Bean!  In the past year that I've been on this frugal lifestyle, one thing I've learned is beans are your friends.  And I've always felt bad in vegetarian and vegan obsessed NY about being a carnivore, so I've really made a strong effort to cut my meat intake and replace it with beans.  Which is great for your health, the environment and wallet! But lately with all the rising food costs, I've noticed in NYC that even dried beans now cost like $1.69 for a bag! Which is crazy!!!!!  So I'm super happy that the Hyacinth Beans are growing and I can eat it for free! I really am so surprised at how fast they grow.  Just note that if you have them in your garden you have to cook them thoroughly because raw these can poison you.  But don't let that scare you off their super healthy and the Africans, Asians and Indians have been using this in their diet for ages and for medicine.


No comments:

Post a Comment