Sunday, September 18, 2011

Black Beans Breakfast Idea


So yesterday, I cooked all of the 1lb of Dry Goya Black Beans I got from Target and put some in the freezer and some in the lower fridge to prepare in recipes this week.  I was reading a bunch of food blogs for what to do with them.  And I found this cool idea to mix them with your eggs for breakfast.  Actually, its not completely radical idea a lot of Hispanic countries have eggs with refried beans for breakfast but this was a healthy version.  If you don't fry Black Beans, they're super low calorie and high in protein and fiber.  Which means it will keep you fuller for longer.

My Frugal Low Fat Simple Recipe

Ingredients (3 sandwiches)

Handful of cooked (not dry) Black Beans
2 eggs
Bread Slices (or whatever you have left over for me it was the Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat Deli Slices)
2 Slices of Cheese (lowfat or whatever you have on hand)
Chives (optional but I still had free ones from Garden)

Directions:
Cut up your herbs and Black Beans and throw in with your egg mixture.  Mix and put all of mixture in oiled heated Omlet Pan.  ** Spread Mixture to whole pan ( you don't need thick layer like with cooked eggs alone) and flip over when first side is semi cooked.  Then top with cheese and turn down heat.  Put cover over pan so your cheese can slowly melt.  Then slice to fit your bread choice and serve. You can also add hot sauce, ketchup, salsa etc to it depending on your tastes.

**This is super healthy and frugal because you really stretch your eggs, the beans bulk up the filling and keep you super full.  

***Tip to save time, money and energy, make a big batch and put in Freezer, so you have a instant to go Microwaveable breakfast for your work day.  I only had the two leftover because I wanted to see if I liked the taste.  But next time, I'm going to make big batch.

Because these were all items I made from my stock pile of things I got for dirt cheap or free, the price to make all 3 sandwiches was about $.70!!  Which is about a quarter a pop.

Pro of Batch Cooking your Breakfast:
Don't have to spend mornings on a long line buying breakfast
You know what your putting in your body, versus potentially unsanitary deli's and their reused ingredients
Save money!

No comments:

Post a Comment