Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuna Sandwich (Poor Mans Sandwich)


Actually, despite being cheap Tuna really is super healthy for you.  Lots of Omega's and canned Tuna is awesome because you can store it forever!  Several times a year at the supermarket and even CVS, I've seen them go on sale for about $.59 a can.  Totally a great deal for you to stock up on, because you really can make a lot of things with it and average expiration is about 2 years.  Which if you have been watching the news these days might not be a bad thing to store in preparation for bad times.  This year like with the Sardines, I got a ton free at Rite Aid.  It's also a super convenient way to feed yourself during the summer as you don't need to heat anything.

Here's my honestly yummi and super frugal recipe.  You can of course adapt to your tastes like I did, when I realized I didn't have any Celery in the lower Fridge for crunchiness.  I diced up some Red Bell Peppers and it turned out even better !



Ingredients (makes 3-4 sandwiches)
1 can of Tuna
1/4 large Red Bell Pepper diced (optional)
Handful of Basil
2-3 Stalks of Celery (mines was preminced from freezer)
2 Tablespoons Mayo
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice (optional to get rid of fishy taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste
4-8 Slices of Bread

Directions:

Throw you tuna in a deep bowl and mix with lemon juice.



Dice your vegetables on the side.  Then mix in the Mayo, Celery, Basil and Red Pepper. Put your dash of salt and pepper to taste.   Spread on to your toasted bread.  You can add cheese if you like ( I only did it because I had huge stash of free swiss cheese that I needed to use).  And your done!

Seriously, you can really just improvise to your taste and the more veggies you throw in the more sandwiches you can make from the one can of tuna.  For me as part of my Stockpile cooking challege, I spent zero additional dollars (lemon, red bell pepper bought last month).

For you all if you can find your tuna for $.59 on sale and bread on sale, along with decently priced veggies, free mayo you can probably make about 3-4 sandwiches for like $1.5.  They key is to have at least one of the veggies from your frozen stockpile, as you won't need a whole Celery or Bell Pepper.

The bread was from freezer from when I got it for $1, same with the celery.  The Mayo I grabbed when I happen to be in the condiment aisle of some lunch sandwich shop.  I've learned this year never to buy Mayo again. It really doesn't make sense for me to since I am usually cooking just for me and one more person.  When I buy a tub of it, it usually costs like $3-$4 and ends up going moldy.  The little packets at food courts are awesome because their small, wrapped, super convenient to store and a great way to get your moneys worth at NYC's overpriced lunch spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment