Friday, August 19, 2011

Dim Sum Steamed Tripe



I love DIM SUM..but it can be so extravagant, everything comes in mini-plate sizes.  One of my all time favorites, which a lot of restaurants don’t serve anymore is the Steamed Tripe.  So when I saw the Tripe on sale this past weekend for nearly half off regular price.  I grabbed it. Usually when I tackle a Dim Sum it is an absolute failure.  This time came out amazing and even better than the Dim Sum version.  Best part is this recipe is so easy, you can’t fail. 

Time Spent (15 minutes)

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup Duck Broth (you can use chicken broth, I just had some I was dying to use up from my overflowing fridge)
  • ¼ Red Bell Pepper
  • ¼ GreenBell Pepper
  • 1 Clove Garlic (chopped)
  • 2 Stalks scallion (chopped)
  • 1 lb Tripe

Directions
In a bowl for steaming, combine your broth, peppers, scallion and garlic.  Then steam for 10 minutes so flavors can combine.  You can add salt to your taste.
Now prepare your Tripe.  Just wash it under tap several times.  Then throw in pot of boiling water.  Take out in 3 minutes.  You definitely don’t want to overcook the Tripe.  Remove from pot and let cool a little so you don't burn your fingers. Then you can cut into strips.

By now your steamed broth mixture should be done.  Plate by throwing your broth mixture in along with the cut up Tripe and combining.

Note: I love garlic and scallions so the flavors really give this dish a kick.  Otherwise Tripe is just bland.  Also, tripe shrinks after boiling.

Cost: I used half of my tripe that I got for a total of $2.62 therefore making cost for this dish $1.31; Bell peppers had already from my past dollar bag sales ($.10);  scallions from garden (free), garlic (.05); broth was from past duck bones I boiled (free)

Total: $1.46
Total OPP: $1.31


No comments:

Post a Comment