Monday, August 15, 2011

Peer Pressure at Work to not be Frugal


Why did I post this picture?   anger management lol.  When ever I get a feeling of frugal burn out, I visualize my goals and priorities.  One, I have coming up is my bestest friends wedding in beautiful Turks and Caicos.  Everything in life is about priorities, my frugal lifestyle is going to make it possible to go to her wedding and enjoy the important things in life.

So back to why I needed the reminder..

I got really upset today because one of my co-workers.  He's a great guy but dude today, I was going to snap because he is warped with money. I'll call him Hermes Tie Guy.  I definately work in a office where people constantly will say their broke but still go on regular trips to the Hamptons, eat out at Fancy Resturants, wear top of the line designer clothes, take exotic vacations and live in the best NYC neighborhoods.  And  I'm totally fine with that, I keep my mouth shut when I'm dying to give them advice on frugality if their so "broke." 

So today, HTG in his regular every day routine of gathering lunch orders (with goal of reducing the price per person because he was trying to look all cool buy buying lunch for the interns) singled me out and was like" hey don't say no this time you never order out with us." So my pretty much my standard reply is "I'm on a budget or I'm broke too" and this works like 99% of the time, but today HTG made a remark like "you can afford it."
ONE, it pissed me off because how do you know I'm not near homeless or in debt, its my business and obviously my priority is not to pay for an overpriced NYC lunch and eat at my desk. 
TWO, I've never spoken a word to the interns (they only kiss ass to important people), and I know they are rich trust fund babies who didn't get their position because of merit and sure as hell don't deserve a penny of my hard earned money.  
THREE, this person totally abuses friendships by guilting others who are not so well off as him into joining. Last time, one of the married with kids guys said no because he's wife is putting him on a budget.  You'd think the guy would shut up, but he still kept asking him to pitch in.  Hmm.. whats a bigger priority taking care of our wife and kids or wasting $10 for a sandwich. 
FOUR, he makes the most money out of all of us and still is asking us to help lower his expenses for his more extravagant lifestyle. And yes he wears Hermes Ties.

Talk about PEER Pressure.  This is one of the things, I hate most about really NY Corporate work environments with 20 somethings.  Like I'm wrong, to want to be frugal and be responsible with my finances. GRR like who wouldn't love to buy lunch everyday, but obviously I have other priorities.


No comments:

Post a Comment