Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Stockpile Cooking: Hormel Can Chilli with Beans recipe




Hormel Can Chilli with Beans recipe

Ingredients
½ Onion
1 can Chilli
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 handful Basil
½ tablespoon of Asian Chilli Sauce
1 teaspoon Oil

Directions

Chop Onions and Red Bell Peppers separately.  Heat pan, put in oil and coat pan.  Throw in onions cook for 3 minutes on medium heat or when you see slight yellowing.  Toss in Red Bell Pepper, stir for 2 minutes.  Then throw in can chilli and let cook till simmer.  While cooking; toss in your Asian Chilli Sauce and if you want any salt.  Once its simmers, throw in your Basil and turn off stove. 


Too be healthy, I threw the Chilli over brown rice.  Eat immediately. 

August out of pocket to make this meal $0.
Actual cost for 4 servings:  $1 for 4 servings of brown rice; $.20 for onions; $.10  for a TOTAL of $1.30


I already had a ton of these canned chili from my stockpile from when Rite Aid had them for free after coupons so this was a frugal way for me to not go out and buy more meat.  The onions cost me about $.20 and the Red Bell Pepper $.10 because I bought these a while back from my grocery stores random $1 bag of goodies.  The chilli sauce, I saved from prior take out order so free.  You’ll notice the theme of Onions, Red Bell Peppers and Basil a lot this next month.

Tip: Whenever I find good Onions, Carrots, Celery, Bell Peppers on sale; I buy and freeze them.  Reasoning is when you let your vegetables sit in fridge, each day they lose some of their nutrients.  When you freeze them you help stop that.  

Also, if your short on time its really helpful to have pre-chopped ingredients on hand.  On top of saving you time from running to the grocery store again.

No comments:

Post a Comment