Friday, February 24, 2012

Nate Berkus Show Episode on Decluttering



I love love Nate Berkus ! He has the most amazing segments ... it almost makes me wish he were hetero and I just could marry him and he could just organize and beautify my clutter seriously.. I've been at decluttering for ages now...it's been seriously stressing me out.  Again, this segment is going to be a savior I'm just 15 min and I am seeing results.

On his show he had on Organizational Expert Geralin Thomas and she breaks down clutter personalities into 5 types.
  • Easily Distracted
  • Procrastinator
  • Bargain Shoppers
  • Sentimental
  • Perfectionist 
How bad is it that I'm all of the bolded.. yikes....

The trick that is working is the TIMER idea, basically I just set a timer for 15 min (its been long day and I'm tired).  I realized that I haven't been using my time efficiently because I do get easily distracted and it's easy to feel overwhelmed.  The time helps me focus on time and my the ONE thing.. I'm working on organizing.  Basically the first step is to pick one thing and grab them all and put them back to their rightful place.  Your not sorting or organizing yet.  Your just grabbing all "LIKE" things and putting them back to where they are suppose to be.  

I used this time to grab, toss and sort all my paperwork to the system I developed so far for my first round of Decluttering and Organizing my PAPERS.


I'm doing this because I need to just get rid of all the paper laying around and realistically organizing my papers will really take a long time to organize and file.  And when I have time to watch TV....during commercials, I open all my financial mail from its envelopes and put everything else back into the box.  15 minute and my room does look less messy and I can actually see the other stuff I have to declutter and organize easier.

The expert has an official 5 day plan she put on Nate's website LINK ...I think I'll try it after I get a little more done.


No comments:

Post a Comment