Friday, February 17, 2012

How to Start Decluttering your Closet

Is our room starting to look like this?? Mine's was and so I started Operation Declutter.  I'm starting by first focusing on my Closet because that is probably where I have the most Clutter. I've already started and boy has it been difficult so I thought I'd share the routine, I've finally adapted.


STEP 1 GROUPING SIMILAR PIECES

Start small (so you don't get overwhelmed) and pick one type of Apparel that you need the least.  Then just go through your closet and put that one type of clothing in one place.  If you don't think you will do this in one day, then put it in something so you can keep adding to the pile (for me it was a Garbage Bag).   The first type of apparel I decluttered was SWEATSHIRTS, I work in corporate environment so SWEATSHIRTS are the least likely thing I need to wear and be fashion conscious of wearing.  Even though I have a bunch of nice cute ones, I always end up lounging around in my most baggy and ugly but comfortable hoodie.  

STEP 2 REVIEW YOUR INVENTORY

After you gather all your batch of similar apparel and you finally have time to get to decluttering.... review what you have.  If your like me and "Decluttering" it will probably be a lot.

STEP 3 SORT

I think it's easiest to color coordinate...but you can sort by price, fit, etc. This way you can see quite simply how much of one thing you have repeats of.  

STEP 4 ELIMINATE

After you sort, it'll be much easier for you ELIMINATE.  It was quite shocking to see how many similar grey and black sweatshirts I had. For most people who are decluttering, ELIMINATION is the most difficult and emotional process.

First - get rid of the pieces that are damaged (eg: holes, rips, stains, super faded )
Second - get rid of pieces don't fit well on you.  
Third - get rid of what is seriously no longer stylish.
Fourth -  get rid of what you haven't worn for over a year.

If you still have a lot at this point....

Fifth - find pieces that someone you know may like more than you.  { Like a younger cousin or sibling my covet one of your pieces and you really aren't particularly super in love with the piece.  Think of giving it away as your way of enriching their lives and decluttering yours}
Sixth - are their any similar pieces that have a Non-Dry Cleaning twin? Lets say you have 3 Black Blouses that are very similar but one is Dry Clean Only.  Do you really need the hassle of Dry Cleaning when you have 2 other very machine washable replacements?

If you still ..... have a lot even after all the above.....

STEP 5 EVALUATE harder

Evaluate: How many times a week you wear this type of item.
Me: I wear a sweatshirt SEVEN times a week but as lounge wear.  And maybe once a week on a super casual weekend day if I go to the gym.
Evaluate: How many of this type of apparel do you actually NEED a week taking into account your laundry routine.
Me: I need ONE Sweatshirt a week for lounging and maybe another ONE for the occasional gym day.  And I do laundry every 2 weeks.  So based on that I really need THREE sweatshirts for my 2 week laundry cycle.  If you space situation is not that dire, then take your NEED NUMBER and add ONE additional piece.

Now that you have your NEED NUMBER in your head, can you eliminate some more??


STEP 6 MINIMALIST TRIAL PERIOD

If you still have too much ... pick your favorite (insert NEED NUMBER) pieces and leave those in your closet.  Throw everything else back in and keep hidden somewhere inconvenient for you to access so you won't be tempted to cheat.  For a trial period, just use your selected pieces and see how it goes.  Most likely you'll find that your life is a lot simplified and won't even miss your hidden bag of clutter.  If you truly need something from your hidden stash then take it out one at a time.  If you actually wear it keep it out.  By the end of you trial you will hopefully see how little you needed your hidden stash of extra clutter.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!! I know I'll be doing this for all my items till I've finally DECLUTTERED my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment