Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DIY Shower Curtain for Storage




I seriously have been coveting this shower curtain with built in pockets from Walmart .  The Pockets are made of mesh which drains easily to prevent water buildup. Seriously for a New Yorker with a tiny tiny bathroom, this is a great way to declutter up some of your bathroom especially if you have to share the bathroom with others.  
It's $14.96.
 You can buy this at Walmart but its currently unavailable online but for future reference here's the LINK

The site didn't offer much details for the curtain but here's as close of a look as I could get


I still can't tell if the pockets are inside or on the outside... 

But here's my DIY solution to getting a Shower Curtain with Storage thanks to the DOLLAR Store.


I found this Utility Bag meant to organize common Lobby items like Mail.  But upon opening it, the hook looked like the same size as my shower curtain rings and plastic and clear material made me think WATERPROOF and that this would go great with my currently Clear Shower Curtain.  

I put it in the middle, because I wanted to leave the Utility Bag as undisturbed as possible.



I wanted to use this for storage of things I don't necessarily need all the time or didn't want in the shower space.

So I filled it with 

Face Exfoliator
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil
My more expensive special occasion Philosophy Body Wash
Razor
Emergency Bar of Soap ( I hate it when I just run out and have to step out for just that)
Toothpaste
ToothBrushes
Lotion
Neutrogena Microdermabrasion Tool and Refill Pods

I tested it and everything was easy to reach for and stayed dry ( with the obvious exception of what I actually used in the shower).
It may not look as sleek and fancy as the Walmart one but it works and frees up some much needed space. 


All this stuff would have taken up all this counter top space . Now it hangs vertical and does not hog up any additional space that hasn't already been designated by the tub.


 My Utility Bag actually has more pockets so you can separate more things.  Also I just use one curtain if you use a liner and fancy curtain, you could try putting it in between the two and if your curtain is heavy.. it would hide the utility bag.  Or easily unhook and hide when guests come over.

Anyway my DIY solution (I'm not crafty at all) costs only $1.08 with tax VERSUS $14.96, which I guess if you consider that you use your shower curtain everyday the cost per day is not a lot.  

But one of the goals of my Decluttering mission is not to spend more MONEY than necessary during a recession and to achieve a more clutter free existence.  Personally, I think that ORGANIZATION has become a money making machine for lots of corporations.  Seriously, there popular specialized stores like the CONTAINER STORE, BED BATH and BEYOND, IKEA, CRATE and BARREL on top of Target, Walmart, etc.. all making tons off people who are trying to be more organized in their life.  And I think its great that there are companies out there improving peoples lives but if you look at the price of their products their ripping people off a bit.   Considering so many great solutions, I've found at the dollar store.  A normal person could literally spend hundreds if they bought retail easily while on this mission.  


1 comment:

  1. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. What Is the Average Length of a Shower Curtain

    ReplyDelete