Saturday, February 11, 2012

6 items or less challenge

This is MAJOR!!!!!!!!




I was web surfing, on shrinking your closet as part of my decluttering project and came across this amazing project called "6 items or less".  It basically is a challenge to wear on 6 main staple pieces of clothing for 30 days (accessories, undies, shoes not included).  At first, I thought that is so so not possible !!!!!!   Mainly because my dress code is the Corporate Dress Code vs hippy, artsy dress code which is much more lax.  


But then I found out one of my favorite Financial reporters, Jean Chatzy participated in this experiment and she has as corporate of a dress code as anyone!!!  I saw her segment on the Today Shows archives and ironically, I remember seeing her interviews around the time she was participating in this experiment and I didn't notice that she was reusing the same 6 pieces!!!!





I was so blown away because it really puts into perspective how wasteful my huge closet of clothes are and even though I'm frugal and I don't spend much on my clothes... it really makes me realize how much consumerism affects me. It's also a relief because one of my biggest source of stress for my bicoastal move is how I'm going to shrink my closet down to one suitcase and not be tempted to buy more clothes.


I'm sharing the links below because I really believe this is a an amazing project.


Link to Jean Chatzy experience


NY Times Article


Obviously, this is the most extreme approach but I really encourage everyone to try there own version.  I tried 6 pieces for work looks only and I really came up with a sufficient amount of outfits.  ( I will post about it later )


Benefits:



  • You will waste less time on dressing every day and free up more free time for useful ventures.
  • You will hopefully realize that you don't need more clothes and save a lot of  money.  
  • You will put your clothes to use and be less wasteful.

No comments:

Post a Comment