Monday, January 21, 2013

Ideas for Leftover Hummus


I love Hummus, its low calorie, high in protein and an essential for vegetarians (not that I am one).  It goes great with raw veggies like carrots and celery sticks perfect if your dieting and need a healthy snack! I also use it with chips, pita bread, naan and french bread.  But the thing is it rarely goes on sale in the supermarket and if it does its usually 2 for $5, which is a major frugal girl "No, No".  Snacks are killer to a food budget.  But when it does hit the inventory of Jacks 99 Cent store in NYC it usually goes for $.99 or $1.29 and that is when I stock up.  The great thing about hummus is that it freezes really well.


I take it out of the freezer when I need it and a simple butter knife will easily cut it in proportions you want to use.  And then I microwave it for about 20 seconds and its back to its original spreadable form.

The reason, I'm writing this post is that I picked up 7 containers on my last freegan haul. 

Ideas for Left Over Hummus

  • Use as a substitute for mayo in sandwiches for otherwise bland meats like turkey and grilled chicken.  
  • Excellent for Veggie Hummus wrap (think Hale and Hearty's).
  • Use as a binder for bland Turkey Burgers vs egg whites.
  • Make Hummus Pasta (just toss pasta with hummus vs tomato sauce or with).
  • Use as a Baked Potato topping.







No comments:

Post a Comment