Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hummus Pasta: Stockpile and Cooking with Leftovers


To reduce my food waste and keep myself from using money at the grocery store its important to make meals from what I already have. And I still had 1 cup of pasta sauce left over that I needed to use since I was short on freezer space.  So I grabbed some leftover hummus, my stash of frozen Jalapeno peppers and pasta from my stockpile to make an impromptu, white bean hummus pasta.  And it made the cheap tin tomato sauce taste just like a creamy vodka sauce. With the added health benefit of sneaking in beans to pasta.


Ingredients (3-4 servings)

1/2 LB Pasta
1 Cup Pasta Sauce
4 oz White Bean Hummus
1 Jalapeno Pepper (optional)
1 Teaspoon Sugar

Directions:

Cook pasta and drain.  Set aside.


Heat Jalapeno and tomato sauce in sauce pan. Add sugar.


Add in White Bean Hummus and stir.


Add in pasta and stir in to mix sauce and pasta (italian style).  Plate and optional season with Parmesan Cheese and Basil.


I put this in as a low cost recipe because even with out the Hummus you can puree white beans to add into your sauce.  My cost to make this dish since all this was from my freegan haul and stockpile of free or near free stuff was $.10 and that's being generous with my estimate.






No comments:

Post a Comment