Saturday, January 12, 2013

America $165 Billion Dollars in FOOD WASTE annually



After all the hype in the media about America’s Debt Deficit being in the Trillions does it make sense that Americans account for $165 Billion Dollars annually in food waste.  As a country we have reached new levels of poverty and yet based on U.S. Department of Agriculture’s estimates an average American tosses out about $500 in food a year?

New Yorkers have noticed it hasn’t even snowed yet this year!! we’re at record breaking temperatures further more raising awareness to the fact that our Environmental abuse has taken its toll and you’d have to be crazy not to notice it. 

Do you know what the NUMBER ONE contribution of solid waste to our landfills are?  FOOD SCRAPS, accounting for about 25% of our methane gas emissions.

The numbers are frightening, and yet I’ve seen the food waste.  Everytime, I clean out my fridge I end up tossing food I’ve forgotten about.   And on Freegan Tour, I can easily picture HUGE bags of still good food being tossed out for mostly cosmetic purposes.

This year, I’m going to be really much more conscious of Food Waste and hopefully be able to post some of my tips.  I can say right now, after this post I’m going to my fridge and take a tally of my existing contents to make a meal instead of going to the grocery store as I had planned early this morning.


Look at what Europe's Government has developed to address food waste !! Why is the USA so behind in the battle against Food Waste?  http://england.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

Great Articles to learn more:


Video with Article

No comments:

Post a Comment