Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Freegan Haul, Union Market


I had to post about my Last Haul on a Freegan Tour, there was 25 people and we all left with bags filled of high end foods! That night there was just so much Yogurt thrown out and I'm talking about HIGH END Stuff.  I didn't even realize till I got home that it was Goat Milk Yogurt something we don't even carry in normal supermarkets.  The Retail price is $2.99 for small little cup version of yogurt!!!!!  As you can see their all in their containers, pristine clean garbage and its freezing in NYC so essentially it was at Cold Temp the whole time it was just sitting on side walk.


I also picked up these portable Organic Yogurts from a High end Grocer in Manhattan, you do not even want to know how ridiculously expensive this sells for.  And its boxed, in pristine condition.  I can't believe that this was just going to go to the Landfills, perfectly packaged organic Yogurt! I am still trying to wrap my head around how stores can be so selfish, like who could afford this regularly to start with and why would you just throw it out!


There was also tons of this Organic boxed cookies.  Again in super clean food only bags, and its also wrapped inside as well.  I would have taken more because its sad to say that even with 25 people on the tour, we still had a bunch left over.  I can literally see how this is a food rescue mission, what we can't take gets tossed in a landfill!!


Again perfectly packaged Spinach Ravioli, this is going to be dinner one night!  This is all from just one store, can you imagine combined with 25 people and I took conservatively... how much food was just tossed in one night.  And its clean and high end food just thrown out when Bowery Homeless just nearby.  How lazy and wasteful can these stores be??

The total retail cost estimate of my Haul from this one store is over $55 !!!!  And being realistic, I would never have access to buy this High end food and because I went on this Food Rescue tour, I am going to eat better than when I actually BUY food and all for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment