Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How much does a dry ONE pound bag of Black Beans yield?


I've always wanted to know but have been to lazy to answer this question.  I've really become obsessed with adding Black Beans into my meals.  One reason is I can not stress enough how healthy black beans are! The other is Target still has a ONE pound bag of dry black beans at $.76 !!!!  Which is the cheapest you'll find anywhere in NYC!!!!

So I finally decided to find out how much a bag yields to figure out if it would ever be worth it to buy the canned beans.  So I first soaked them overnight in water.
Then cooked them in boiling water for an hour.

Strained the liquids from the beans


This is how much beans are created after cooked!


This is just another reason why I love my LockNLock containers, I have one that is exactly 16 oz aka 1 lb so that I can easily measure the beans.


Batch # 1

Batch # 2


Batch # 3 


Last Batch is about 1/3




So the answer is ONE lb dry bag of Black Beans yields about 3.33 lb of actual cooked beans!!!!!  Or about $.23/ lb if you buy yours at Target while they have there Black Beans priced so low!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment