Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dollar Bag of Tomato's

What I will miss most about NYC?? Being able to score my $1 bag of veggies from the Asian Supermarkets.

To prove my point about my lazy cooking, I washed and roughly chopped the tomato's and threw this in the crock pot.  Then I went to my freezer for my stash of carrots, celery, onion, black beans and tossed in crockpot.  And topped it off with enough tap water to make my crockpot 3/4 full.  Put on High and few hours later had 8 servings of Tomato Black Bean Soup.

And my estimated cost being very conservative for all this $2.22!!!!!!!  I add serving of brown rice to my soup because it makes it more filling. Even with the brown rice.. my cost for each serving is less than 44 CENTS!!!! This meal is low in sodium, fat and high in vitamins and fiber!!!!!

Meal Plan 
I immediately ate 1 serving for dinner.
After letting soup cool... I will put  2 servings in the freezer.
 5 servings in lock and lock containers and store in lower fridge for 5 weekday meals.  If find that my soups last at least 7 days in the lock and lock containers.

To change up the flavor, I may fry half an egg and then throw in soup to reheat.  I may put in red pepper paste for a spicy version. I may add in any left over beef from other meals. I could eat with side of whole wheat buttered toast. Having this in the fridge means I can quickly reheat and in 5 minutes have a healthy meal when I'm too exhausted to cook during busy weekday.

No comments:

Post a Comment