Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Caramelized Onions Easy Disaster Free Method


So I have been reading Kathleen Flinn's "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School" and in one of her chapters she says that one of the easiest ways to add lots of flavor to a dish is by using Caramelized Onions!! She's a Le Cordon Bleu graduate so when she described how she'd make big batches and even freeze them.. I was kinda shocked.  I just didn't expect that from a Le Cordon Bleu graduate.  But that must mean Caramelized Onions retain their quality really well after being frozen !!!
I've never been able and patient enough to successfully make them on stove top because you literally have to be at the stove for about 40 minutes constantly at attention.  And this is why I love love my Crockpot since its a great way to slowly cook something.  I did a test batch and it worked!!!!!!!! It filled the kitchen with the most amazing aroma while cooking and I didn't burn it!!!

Easy Disaster Free : Caramelized Onions

Ingredients:
4 Onions
 1/3 Stick Butter

Directions

Peel off your Onion really well. I'm naturally frugal so I made the mistake of trying to slide the top layer with some skin and that portion burned.
Chop your onions up to your shape preference, (try to cut up same size so they can cook evenly).
Toss in all your Onions into the Slow Cooker.


And slice your butter thinly to put on top of onions.  
Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 8 hours.

They will be done when you see them brown and reduced at least to 1/3of  its original volume.
Take them out with slotted spoons so you can leave liquid in Crockpot (I'm going to use the leftover for making soup).
You can serve immediately or put them in freezer/fridge for storage after they have cooled down.

Note: I am actually going to reduce the butter next time to 1/4. 


I love this!! Carmelized Onions are so delish!!!!!! And this is a great way to reduce food waste (sometimes I forgot to use all my Onions since they come in big bag). Also it takes about 5 minutes of actual work... you just have to chop the onions and add slices of butter in your Crockpot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment