Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Epic Freegan Haul


This was an amazing produce haul.  I got so many apples, peaches, organic sqaush, cucumber, lemon, artichoke, fancy beat and another fancy veggie that someone told me was super expensive, lots of broccoli, green string beans, avocado, 2 huge bunches of super great bananas, 3 fancy kinds of Hummus, Tofu Salad, pre cooked corn and broccoli, 2 huge sandwiches, and the best part was the super fresh deluxe Salads.  Easily well worth other a $100 worth of stuff.  


Not to mention 2 large bags of Thyme and Cilantro.

Honestly, my fridge was packed!  And to demonstrate how much waste there is going on... there were like 5 other people on my dive !!!  And I actually left early because I couldn't carry any more stuff.

These Salads were so deluxe.. came with dressing, peppers, walnuts, cranberries, feta cheese, chicken it was just crazy!
I literally had close to two weeks of work lunches from this haul.  Because I'm every so frugal.. because I wanted to keep things as fresh as possible.. I took out the perishables like cheese and chicken from the salad boxes and separated them for the freezer and fridge to keep them fresher longer and also to stretch my salads out.  Usually when I have salads its pretty plain so alil pizazz is nice to have on hand.


One of the biggest challenges I'd say is the over abundance of stuff you get.. you don't want to leave it but you have to because I literally couldn't eat all this. And the whole point is for the food not to go to waste.

So froze and cut up as much as I could.  Seriously, I have never eaten so good and had such a packed fridge in my life! And it was all free! 



1 comment:

  1. I like your blog but it would be really helpful if you can name the locations of your hauls.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete