Saturday, April 6, 2013

Freegan Epic Hale and Hearty Soups



So I've pretty much been diving at the same spot lately its so much easier to do because I just got and there's always stuff.  What I did realize is that it can be a competitive spot, like last week I got there 20 minutes later than usually and there as a mini fight going on.  Apparently, one diver brought a car to haul a bunch of stuff and a meaner local diver was yelling go back to your own neighborhood.  Pretty much her and her buddy, had a ton of stuff that was amazing from the quick glance I got of her bags.  It just goes to show there is a huge abundance of stuff.  I definately am not getting first dibs but even still look what I got yesterday!  And that day I got the tail wind, everything was super super clean,  which means I must literally be one of the last divers at that spot. They throw stuff out in clear bags super organized and neat.  I remember the packages that night were super clean.

So tonight, was dairy and chicken breast night.  I mean there was so much and it was all in a separate super clean bags, no liquids dripping and nothing smushed (aka it must have just been brought out).  I'm super excited to grab 2 half gallons of Organic milk.  They even had the Moo vanilla milk but honestly this was my heaviest haul ever.  And I am so pysched about the sour cream because I was just debating buying it at the grocery store the other day and now I got it for free!

The other great score was all the chicken breast I picked up the Purdue one's were the kind they pre slice thinly for grilling (something I'd never shell out extra money for) and a bunch of vacuum sealed split breast. The other batch was fancy vegetarian feed chickens, 99% fat free crazy fancy.  I literally got at least 7 packages of chicken breast in this haul.  Food safety tip, smell it look at it (that night it was so so fresh and I good still feel it being cold, and there was no liquids running)  which happens even at the grocery store when they aren't selling super fresh stuff.

And the other super cool thing especially since were were talking about Hale and Hearty all week and how great but expensive their soups are was the 6 pints of Soup I got.  They are also plastic sealed in side, so no safety issue there!


This night I got tons of bread, which I totally needed... now that I know my spot a bit more and someone had already grabbed the pastry bag.


At the very least this haul was over $100 !! I freakin love this Freegan practice!



No comments:

Post a Comment