Sunday, January 29, 2012

Operation Declutter (Part 2): Comparing Under Bed Storage bags

Finding the Perfectly Valued Under the Bed Storage Bag

Bed Bath and Beyond: has a vinyl version for $7.99 each


This is what I want but that will be over $8 a bag! 

Why not buy more Space Bags??
While I love space bags ($2-3 a bag); there are somethings space bags are not that much useful for regularly dense clothing like sweatshirts.  And sometimes I don't want the hassle of decompressing a whole bag to get access to one item.  Plus they are some what delicate and the more you do that the more you wear and tear you space bags.  So I really wanted to get some under the bed bags. Normally I use the heavy duty clear vinyl zip bags that you get when you buy a comforter, but I've used them all up already. I need these bags to help store my out of season clothes that I may still want access to.  

So I searched a couple of my Dollar Stores and found my solution!!

Dollar Store: Under the Underbed Storage Bag
Cost $.99


I only bought one because it was in a sealed bag and I wanted to test one first, but basically this one is exact same size as the one at Bed Bath and Beyond.  And it has side pockets!  Con: is that its semi clear and the plastic is not strong as Space Bag or Vinyl.  I took up close picture below, because its likely your Dollar Store will have this version too (since all 3 stores I visited had this bag)


Conclusion:  If you don't plan on constantly abusing the storage bag (like grabbing it by the plastic to move, have NYC rat problem) its a great buy.  I save $7 a bag buying this version. So I am going to go back to get more!  For me, I'll just be putting these under my bed and occasionally accessing them.  Because there so cheap, I can buy more and organize my things better!

Cheap DIY Tip:  The Fabric Lining on the bag is really great to my surprise.  If you really want to make the bags sturdier you can just add duck tape.  I get a huge roll from dollar store so I don't have to be conservative with it. 

WHY not buy clear Plastic Under the Bed Tote Boxes?

The average price for the plainest kind of those huge under the bed Tote boxes is $15.  They are great because their easy to clean and durable.  Aside from the pricing issue.  It's not as flexible in terms of space, most beds can probably only handle 1-2 layers.  For me, I'm trying to organize things by actual items so it's easier for me to buy the bag version so I can organize more things and my space limitation is dictated by the size of my items vs the storage box.  Also if you don't own a home and you do have to move a lot... sometimes these will get cracked in the move depending on how careful your movers are.  Also if you have to move to another state via plane, you will not be able to take these with you.  Versus the bags you can just pack as usual and the barely add any additional space or weight.  My lesson was learned in my last move where I had to throw all mine out because I couldn't fit them in my suit cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment